The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.

Conservation Area

Conservation Areas can be defined as areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.

The designation of a conservation area indicates the Council's positive commitment to these special areas and its intention to preserve and enhance the quality of the environment. However, conservation areas are not open-air museums but living communities which must be allowed to change over time in order to remain vital and prosperous. Consequently, the emphasis is to guide and control development rather than to prevent it.

The ultimate success of conservation areas will depend upon the care which individual owners take with the maintenance and repair of their properties and in any alterations or extensions they make.

Planning permission

Household 'Permitted development rights' are stricter for properties within conservation areas. Minor work affected includes making alterations to the roof, satellite dishes and cladding for example

Article 4 Directions

Some of the conservation areas have 'Article 4 Directions'. This means that planning permission is required for all householder development in this area. There is no 'Article Four Direction' for Clophill.

Do you need permission?

Satellite,TV and Radio Antenna

If your building is in a designated area, you do not need to apply for planning permission to install an antenna on your property, as long as an antenna is not installed on a chimney, wall, or a roof slope which faces onto, and is visible from, a road or a Broads waterway

Solar panels

In many cases installing solar panels on domestic land is likely to be considered 'permitted development' with no need to apply to the council for planning permission. There are, however, important limits and conditions which must be met to benefit from the permitted development rights.

Trees and hedges

Many trees are protected by tree preservation orders which means that, in general, you need the council's consent to prune or fell them. In addition, there are controls over many other trees in conservation areas.

Doors and windows

Planning permission is not normally required for repairing, fitting or replacing doors and windows (including double glazing). However, if the building is listed or is in a conservation area (or other designated area) you should consult with your local planning authority.

The above are direct quotes from Central Bedfordshire Council and The Planning Portal.